Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Politics Is Local Too

I received my absentee ballot last night. Most of the choices are fairly straightforward for me (although to think that I am paying $6,000 a year to vote for Kerry does give a moment's pause - immediately replaced of course by my belief in an equitable tax system). I am still stuck, however, on picking a mayor of my fair town of 500,000 people. The race here is ugly - everyone seems to be a "Democrat," yet they all seem to hate each other. The campaign seems more like Irish v. Italian v. Black v. Puerto Rican v. Dominican v. Insane (the guy running on the Yes Lord! ticket was the easiest to eliminate - when asked to explain his positions, his response was that he was still waiting to hear from god.) Out of the eleven candidates, I am really down to two. The problem is that I cannot find any specifics on the last two. I know that the current acting mayor (one of the two), led the charge to keep "big box" retail out of the city - something I don't support, but hardly a sufficient basis to support a decision. Other than that, I am out of info. Hopefuly, it won't come down to who has been involved in the fewest scandals. Frustrating indeed...

Update:

For those still reading, I finally was able to track down information and pick a candidate. It shouldn't have been that difficult though...