Thursday, October 21, 2004

I Suppose This Is One Way To Look At It

The New York Times purports to make the case for "Why Taxes Have to Go Up" today. I don't see it. What they do is make a somewhat compelling argument for deficit reduction.

I happen to agree that taxes will have to be raised to cover current spending. (And deferring inevitable tax increases into the future does not mesh with my idea of fairness. I'd rather pay higher taxes now while I can afford them.) But the NY Times makes only an offhand mention of reducing spending, and no attempt is made to explain why certain spending cannot be cut. I don't expect the NY Times to be a source of unbiased economic advice, and they have a fairly limited amount of space in which to make their arguments; but I think the argument would be more persuasive if they were to be more candid about their assumptions.